Alexander Z. Rivkin M.D. is a Yale trained facial cosmetic surgeon and UCLA faculty member who has focused his practice exclusively on providing his patients with the latest in non-invasive, non-ablative cosmetic treatments in Southern California. He understands that no one relishes the thought of “going under the knife,” and believes modern medical technology can provide today's patients with superior alternatives to invasive, painful surgery that requires a long recovery time.

Friday, August 8, 2008

Active Fx to Correct Texture after Chemical Peel

I am much too young for a facelift of any kind. But in March I had a chemical peel done to my face that left my skin with a rough texture/orange peel look. Do you know about this side effect? I have tried many other procedures such as micro-dermabrasion, smoothbeam and creams to fix or help my skin but nothing is working.

When I take my skin and stretch it back a little, my skin looks smooth again though. So this is my I am considering a facelift. I am most interested in focusing on the apples of my cheeks and a bit below that, towards my mouth. What are your thoughts on this?

I was also considering a rhinoplasty as a have a bulbous nose and would possibly like to thin it out very, very slightly. My main concern is the facelift, but the reason I mention this is because I was curious whether having a rhinoplasty along with the face lift, would allow you to tighten the skin better in the areas I desire.


Thank you for your time.




I do not think that a facelift will help you.

The problem that you are describing has more to do with the texture of your skin than with overall skin laxity. I have heard of this kind of thing happening, but I do not really use chemical peels, so I have not experienced it among my patients.
It takes a lot of energy to change the texture of your skin once this kind of thing has happened. Microdermabrasion and creams will not help. Smoothbeam is an okay choice, but even that is not potent enough, in my opinion, to change the topography of your facial skin. The only laser that I have seen to really have an effect is the active fx. I would suggest that you do a bit of research on that laser - it should help tighten your skin a bit and smooth out the orange peel effect.

Regarding your nose, it sounds like you would be a candidate for non surgical rhinoplasty. It would be a shame to undergo surgery for a subtle effect such as the one you're talking about. It can be achieved with a few steroid injections.

http://www.westsidemedicalspa.com/activefxlaser.html

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did active fx one month ago and my skin looks rougher with larger pores than before. I hope this effect is only temporary.

December 8, 2008 at 3:29 PM

 
Blogger Dr. Alexander Rivkin said...

i wonder what type skin you have. i have seen this kind of thing a couple of times recently with middle eastern skin, but i'm not sure if it is a pattern or if it was just those patients. i believe that this is temporary, but i am watching the progress. in the meanwhile, i would suggest a chemical peel like vi peel.

March 17, 2009 at 8:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Westside Medical Spa