Alexander Z. Rivkin M.D. is a Yale trained facial cosmetic surgeon and UCLA faculty member who has focused his practice exclusively on providing his patients with the latest in non-invasive, non-ablative cosmetic treatments in Southern California. He understands that no one relishes the thought of “going under the knife,” and believes modern medical technology can provide today's patients with superior alternatives to invasive, painful surgery that requires a long recovery time.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Lip Injection Pain

I went a couple days ago to get my lips plumped up with Juvederm. The MD applied a topical anesthetic and then proceded to give a local one like you get in your gums at the dentist. It was so painful that I fainted. I didn't even get to have my lips done.

I'm too scared to go back and finish the procedure but I paid a lot of money. Is there any way this can be completed with out me having to pass out from the pain? Should lip injections hurt this bad?


It sounds like you passed out from the pain of the lidocaine injection (dental block) that is supposed to make your lips numb.

Your doctor was doing all the right things, but lidocaine does burn when injected. There are ways of reducing that pain. I mix bicarbonate with septocaine (instead of lidocaine) to do my dental block injections. It doesn't hurt nearly as much and it still makes the lips very numb. You should find out what the doctor is using for his numbing block and perhaps have him add bicarbonate (it is the acidity of the lidocaine that makes it hurt so much) to the solution prior to injecting. Also, you should wait a few minutes for the topical anesthetic to really kick in before doing the local block.

Once you guys find a good way to numb your lips, the rest should be completely painless!

Web reference: http://www.westsidemedicalspa.com/thin_lips.html

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Westside Medical Spa