Alexander Z. Rivkin M.D. is a Yale trained facial cosmetic surgeon and UCLA faculty member who has focused his practice exclusively on providing his patients with the latest in non-invasive, non-ablative cosmetic treatments in Southern California. He understands that no one relishes the thought of “going under the knife,” and believes modern medical technology can provide today's patients with superior alternatives to invasive, painful surgery that requires a long recovery time.

Sunday, March 16, 2008

IPL vs Fraxel and Active Fx

Aloha Dr.
I went to the dermatologist yesterday for a body skin check (no problems anywhere). I asked what I could do that wasn't drastic to even the skin tone on my face, I have sun spots and age spots.

He immediately suggested IP Laser, also he offered that he could get rid of the lines around my mouth with the same treatment.

Is this a good idea? Would that really work? How long do those results last? He told me I may need up to 5 or 6 sessions or I could be lucky and see results in 2 or 3 sessions. Any input would be appreciated as I am clueless about lasers. I am nearly 5 years post op from f/l, mid f/l, bl and alloderm lip enhancement.
Many thanks and aloha.


aloha elaine,
i'm sorry to say that an IPL (intense pulsed light) device will not remove the lines from around your mouth. it does not go deep enough into the tissue to cause the kind of remodelling that is necessary to smooth out lines, especially the deep ones around the mouth.
IPL is pretty good with spots, and he's right in that treatment sessions required to make a difference do vary. most people need 5 sessions and then they need to really watch out for the sun. use sunblock and wear a hat or the spots may come back.
if you want to treat the spots and the lines, you would need more of a resurfacing laser like fraxel or active fx. i would recommend the latter. there's a bit of downtime, but the resurfacing effect is really good. it is, however, more expensive (about $2500 to 3000 for one session, which is all you should need).
hope that helps

1 Comments:

Anonymous Susan Van Dyke, MD said...

I totally agree with Dr. Rivkin. My experience with Fraxel:restore and Active Fx as well as IPL is extensive. Personall,y I favor the Active Fx for a one treatment option and Fraxel for those wanting less downtime but willing to go with multiple treatments. Either way the brown spots, sundamage and wrinkles are treated at the same time.

March 22, 2010 at 3:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Westside Medical Spa