Alexander Z. Rivkin M.D. is a Yale trained facial cosmetic surgeon and UCLA faculty member who has focused his practice exclusively on providing his patients with the latest in non-invasive, non-ablative cosmetic treatments in Southern California. He understands that no one relishes the thought of “going under the knife,” and believes modern medical technology can provide today's patients with superior alternatives to invasive, painful surgery that requires a long recovery time.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Juvederm or Restylane Under the Eyes

Dear Dr. Rivkin,

I have seen you televised on many reputable shows, and have also followed your threads on this website. Therefore, I have decided to pose this question to you instead of other doctors. (Thank you for all your great and candid posts!)

If I am considering an injectable for hollowing of the eye area, such as Restylane or Juvederm, is it reasonable for me to ask a doctor or nurse (injector) to first inject me in an unnoticeable area (such as my hand) to guage my body's reaction to the material?

Because I have had eczema in the past, with much itching, I am concerned that I may have an allergic reaction to injectables. (Bumps are also a concern, as I have thin skin) I am thinking that this type of request would seem normal to doctors, but I have never read about anyone asking for a "test injection."


hi emii,
you can certainly ask for a test injection and i'm sure any reputable doc or injector will do it. be sure to go to someone who has a bunch of experience with the procedure, preferably that you can see with before and after pictures. i have never seen any allergic reactions to restylane or juvederm, even with eczema patients, and i've probably done about 1000 eye patients.
also, the person you go to must have be comfortable working with hyaluronidase - the enzyme that dissolves the restylane or juvederm just in case you get a bump or a bit of over injection (it happens to the best injectors)
hope that helps

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Rivkin, i have been to a few doctors and they say that Juvederm is unsafe under the eye area. I don't care about crows feet, but directly under my eyes are alot of lines, and short of a eye lift i don't know what to do. can you give me some suggestions.

February 8, 2010 at 11:21 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Westside Medical Spa