Alexander Z. Rivkin M.D. is a Yale trained facial cosmetic surgeon and UCLA faculty member who has focused his practice exclusively on providing his patients with the latest in non-invasive, non-ablative cosmetic treatments in Southern California. He understands that no one relishes the thought of “going under the knife,” and believes modern medical technology can provide today's patients with superior alternatives to invasive, painful surgery that requires a long recovery time.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Freckles and Hydroquinone

Dr. Rivkin
I’m a 22 year old male with red hair and fair skin. When I go out in the sun during the summer time I get freckles all over my face. I was considering using a prescription cream to remove them. I know there are laser treatments but would rather use a cream. Would I be able to use the prescription cream all over my face rather than on individual freckles? If so, would I still be able to get a tan on my face without freckles? If the cream works, would the freckles permanently be removed or would I need to re-apply the cream each year. As far as I know, the freckles aren’t a health hazard and this would be for cosmetic reasons. Would my doctor be able to prescribe the cream for cosmetic reasons alone?


hi
hydroquinone cream is a good way to reduce the appearance of freckles, but they will come right back if you tan.
sometimes the freckles go away and do not come back, but usually, you will have to use the creamperiodically as the freckles do come back.
this is assuming that the cream works, which is not always the case.
if it does not work, there is a chemical peel treatment called cosmelan that can be tried.
if the results of that are not enough, you will have to lose the tan and get photofacial treatments.
yes, your doctor should be able to prescribe hydroquinone, but the standard percentage is 4%. i have the pharmacy make me an 8% cream that i think works better.
in any case, the one thing that will definitely make the freckles come back is sun or tanning. so you need to wear block and a hat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Westside Medical Spa