Alexander Z. Rivkin M.D. is a Yale trained facial cosmetic surgeon and UCLA faculty member who has focused his practice exclusively on providing his patients with the latest in non-invasive, non-ablative cosmetic treatments in Southern California. He understands that no one relishes the thought of “going under the knife,” and believes modern medical technology can provide today's patients with superior alternatives to invasive, painful surgery that requires a long recovery time.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Retin-A dilution

Hi Dr. Rivkin,
First I'd like to thank you for providing all this information to us...essentially free "consults"...it's so appreciated! I'm saving up so I can come see you for a non-surg blepharoplasty. I'll be coming all the way from the SF Bay area--so many of the practitioners who do it here have undereyes so stuffed with restylane that they have this "plane" extending from their cheekbone to their lower lashes, which looks horrible. You give people really natural results, which is no doubt because you take your time and do follow-up appointments to keep the contour human-looking. Wink

Anyway, my actual question is what I might dilute my retin-a with to use it on large parts of my body (legs, arms, etc.)....is vaseline OK? Moisturizer? I got my retin A abroad, so I don't have a derm to ask.

Thanks for any thoughts, and see you in a year or so!



hi,
thanks so much for the kind words.
yeah, i always think that if someone can tell you've had something done or if it looks unnatural afterwards, then you have wasted your time and money.
ok, that is definitely a new question.
i think that diluting with a moisturizer is ok. do you really want to have vaseline all over your body? i would maybe dilute it with something that feels good. i don't think that any of those things will interfere with the efficacy of the retin-a.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hello!
I thought this was an interesting question, and I am glad Dr. Rivkin didn't necessarily agree with diluting the Retin-A in vaseline. Vaseline, or petrolatum, is a non-permeable substance so I couldn't imagine it having any type of delivery system to let the Retin-A work.
Moisturizer seems to me like a much better solution!
To your skin's health,
The Derma Divas

July 16, 2008 at 8:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Westside Medical Spa