Alexander Z. Rivkin M.D. is a Yale trained facial cosmetic surgeon and UCLA faculty member who has focused his practice exclusively on providing his patients with the latest in non-invasive, non-ablative cosmetic treatments in Southern California. He understands that no one relishes the thought of “going under the knife,” and believes modern medical technology can provide today's patients with superior alternatives to invasive, painful surgery that requires a long recovery time.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

IPL and Brown Spots and Mouth Lines

I went to a dermatologist for a body scan for skin cancer, having been a sun worshipper for many years in my early adult life. I have no skin cancers, thank goodness. However I asked the dr what I could do about the brown spots and uneven skin color on my face.

He told me that IPL would get rid that that and also he could get rid of the wrinkles around my mouth with the IPL. Has anyone done this or know anyone who has?

Seems like a dermatologist would be better than a PS for skin issues, I don't really know. Judging from the results of people I work with, I don't like the results of fraxel or like procedures, and I am scared to death of peels of any kind. And I wonder, if IPL can truly remove the wrinkles around ones mouth, then wouldn't everyone be doing that? I appreciate any input on the IPL. Many thanks and aloha


hi,
no way is ipl going to remove the wrinkles around the mouth. you are right to be skeptical. it will certainly help with the brown spots - it is probably the best technology for reducing brown spots, but that's all it can really do. even fraxel is not strong enough to affect the lip and mouth lines. i have had good results with active fx, but it involves some down time - about a week of redness and some swelling.
another thing about ipl is that it can take up to 4 or 5 sessions and the spots can come back. you have to be really careful about the sun afterwards. make sure that you are not suntanned when you go for the treatment - it can burn you if you've had sun exposure prior to the treatment.
hope that helps

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hello again;
I truly love hearing the responses Dr. Rivkin gives. I think this is such a wonderful way to get this valuable information out. I learn a lot about medical procedures that I can suggest to my clients when they're looking for something more than what I can give them (given my scope of practice.)
Anyhow, I know how imperative it is to use an effective SPF on a daily basis, ESPECIALLY when doing a lot of these treatments. However, I also know that not all sunblocks are created equal. I wrote an informative post on how to differentiate a good broad spectrum sunblock, from one that hardly has any UVA protection. You can check it out:
http://myfacialfacts.com/index.php/spf-protection/

July 16, 2008 at 8:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Westside Medical Spa