Alexander Z. Rivkin M.D. is a Yale trained facial cosmetic surgeon and UCLA faculty member who has focused his practice exclusively on providing his patients with the latest in non-invasive, non-ablative cosmetic treatments in Southern California. He understands that no one relishes the thought of “going under the knife,” and believes modern medical technology can provide today's patients with superior alternatives to invasive, painful surgery that requires a long recovery time.

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Fotofacial "burn"


Hello!I am writing this on behalf of my sister.Four days ago we went in for our 3rd Fotofacial RF treatment.After the Dr.finished working on her,I noticed she had burns all over her forehead.I said,"What happened to your face"?The Dr.confidently responded like it was no big deal.He said the wand was going flat on her forehead because she didn't have enough fat on it(she's very thin).BTW,the machine being used is Syneron's EMAX.I figured the burns would be gone the next morning,but no!My sister calls me and tells me they had gotten worse and there were now burns on her chin.She sent me a picture(see below).Today I spoke with her and she told me the burns were now scabbing up.She said one of the scabs was coming off and it was pink.My question is:Do you think that she will have permanent scars from this or will she completely heal?If so,when?Are there any creams,etc.that can speed up the process?Any information would be greatly appreciated!



hi,
i have seen this kind of injury from the RF devices. it looks like an arc burn because they were not able to have complete contact between the skin and the head of the laser on the rounded portions of the forehead and chin. i can tell you that it is a superficial injury and will heal quickly. it looks worse than it is.
these kind of injuries usually heal without scarring, but you do have to be careful. sunblock is critical - you can't let the areas get sun exposure. moisturizer is also a good idea, as is vitamin e cream. otherwise, you just have to give it a few weeks to a few months and it should be ok. after about a month or so, you can start using hydroquinone/retin-a topical creams.
this is one reason that i do not like the fotofacial machines.
hope that helps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Westside Medical Spa