Alexander Z. Rivkin M.D. is a Yale trained facial cosmetic surgeon and UCLA faculty member who has focused his practice exclusively on providing his patients with the latest in non-invasive, non-ablative cosmetic treatments in Southern California. He understands that no one relishes the thought of “going under the knife,” and believes modern medical technology can provide today's patients with superior alternatives to invasive, painful surgery that requires a long recovery time.

Monday, June 2, 2008

Needle Marks from Fillers

Dear Dr. Rivkin,

I hope you can answer this question, because I still have not gotten a good answer from anyone. I have had fillers on my upper lip and above it for 6 years. I see dark needle marks on my upper lip and skin. These are not broken capillaries. I have gone only to experienced injectors. Is there anything that can be done for this? I don't really want to get into lasers, as I've had a bad experience with them. What about for future injections, any way that these marks can be prevented?

Thank you,


hi,
sounds like hyperpigmented scarring from needle marks.
if you do not want to get into lasers, i don't think there's much to do except for topical bleaching creams (hydroquinone 8%, retin a, hydrocortisone) and sunscreen and hope it fades.
i assume that you are using hyaluronic acid (juvederm or restylane) in your lips. you really should not be using anything else.
in the future, i would make sure that the injector is using a 30 gage needle - that way the needle is small and there is minimal trauma. try to have him / her stick you a minimal number of times. also cooling the skin prior to injection with ice may help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Westside Medical Spa