Alexander Z. Rivkin M.D. is a Yale trained facial cosmetic surgeon and UCLA faculty member who has focused his practice exclusively on providing his patients with the latest in non-invasive, non-ablative cosmetic treatments in Southern California. He understands that no one relishes the thought of “going under the knife,” and believes modern medical technology can provide today's patients with superior alternatives to invasive, painful surgery that requires a long recovery time.

Monday, May 19, 2008

Juvederm vs Restylane vs Aquamid for the Lips

I went in for a consult today and told them I wanted to try Juvederm primarily for my upper vermillion border but I also had a smile line I wanted to smooth out. I was very surprised by their recommendation and wanted to confirm this with you. I was told that Restylane is better for the vermillion border given that it is more firm and Juvederm is more liquid which makes it harder to accentuate this area properly. She said her clients who started with Resty and switched to Juvey were not as happy.

Then when I told her I wanted to fill my left smile line, she had me smile to look at it better and said that because it is an expression line and not in the NL fold, that it doesn't fill well. She said it often looks too puffed up and unnatural when filled. We also discussed 8 units of botox all the way around my mouth since all of my lip lines are from expressions and she plans to put another 2 units in my left cheek area to help with the smile line.

Needless to say I left there totally confused. I have heard people generally like Juvey more than Resty and also that it lasts longer and has helped them build collagen. I had hoped the Juvey would last long enough on me that by the time it wore off Aquamid would be available as I would really rather have something long-term. And I had never heard that smile lines aren't good to fill. Can you clarify on all of this? And if I could have any filler on the market right now, given that we know Aquamid is not that far away, what would you recommend for my lips?

Thank you!


hi,
well, first off, aquamid is still a year or more away, unfortunately.
i use juvederm in the vermillion border and have not had any problems - people like it just fine and i have not had complaints, but that's just my experience.
i think that, as long as you don't put too much into the smile line, even expression lines get better with filler. the key to natural results is that you don't put too much in. i use juvederm there and get good, consistent results. botox around the mouth is a good idea, but the 2 units for the smile lines i do not like doing because it can drop the top lip down a bit.
both juvederm and restylane will encourage collagen growth. i like juv. a bit better because it seems to last a bit longer, you can inject it deeper, so there's less of a blue streak effect and it tends to lump up less. for a longer effect, i would use juvederm ultra plus.
hope that helps

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dr Rivkin, I have had two fotofacials done for hyperpigmentation on my face. After each procedure and after the scabbing has completely shed, my hyperpigmentation reappears within 1-2 weeks, in the same places. Each time I get treatment will it always reappear after a couple of weeks, or will it slowly but surley start to take longer to reappear and then eventually fade away? Thanks for you time
Sarah

November 3, 2008 at 8:42 PM

 
Blogger Dr. Alexander Rivkin said...

hi sarah,
that's a great question.
i do not know.
you may want to try a chemical peel for hyperpigmentation like Vi peel or cosmelan. another option is photofacial with levulan. photofacial results are variable, unfortunately, so its hard to say.

November 5, 2008 at 5:18 PM

 
Blogger Amy said...

Hi Dr Rivkin, I want to go in and get some botox in my forehead to see if it will help my migraines. I'd also like to know what the best treatment would be for the lines right between the nose and mouth - not the parenthesis so many talk about. I think it may come from pursing my lips when I don't have my chapstick and over salivation...

You can't see the lines when I'm not smiling but when I pout or say certain words, you can see these lines -when I pout, they're deep - and I'm not a smoker! Thanks!

March 6, 2009 at 11:57 PM

 
Blogger Dr. Alexander Rivkin said...

hey amy,
yeah, come on by - those lines can be improved with just a little botox, so it really shouldn't be a big deal at all.
cheers

March 7, 2009 at 3:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Dr. Rivkin -

I had Juvederm injected three times in my nasolabial lines, the most recent being 1.5 years ago. The lines (which were deep) have still not returned, and I can still feel the product there under the skin. Is it a problem that I still have the product in my face after all this time? I know it is not the norm... I went to a very reputable surgeon.

March 12, 2009 at 2:19 PM

 
Blogger Dr. Alexander Rivkin said...

hi
no, juvederm can last for a long time in some cases. also, it stimulates collagen growth in the area injected. i would not be worried unless the area looks irregular or discolored, in which case the juvederm can be dissolved.

March 13, 2009 at 11:47 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Westside Medical Spa