Alexander Z. Rivkin M.D. is a Yale trained facial cosmetic surgeon and UCLA faculty member who has focused his practice exclusively on providing his patients with the latest in non-invasive, non-ablative cosmetic treatments in Southern California. He understands that no one relishes the thought of “going under the knife,” and believes modern medical technology can provide today's patients with superior alternatives to invasive, painful surgery that requires a long recovery time.

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Numbness After Botox

Hi Dr Rivkin,
I had botox for the 1st time about 4 weeks ago for the lines between my brows. Left side had the bigger/deeper line. It felt like a nerve was maybe hit with the first injection. Felt it from the brow to the left side of my nose. Anyway a lot of my left side is numb (my upper left side on my forhead, left eye (but I can open and close eye, however it does feel dry and a little scratchy..i am putting an ointment in eye at night), my upper lip and the roof of the inside of my mouth.
My plan is just to wait it out and with time the botox will where off, but just wanted to check with you to see if you think thats an ok plan or if I should see someone. Also I was injected with 20c. It that a lot or the average amount? ANd one more thing...have you ever heard of this happening and do you think it was cause by hitting the nerve or I just have a bad reaction to botox? Thank you for your time.



hi,
that is a pretty severe reaction for botox to the glabellar area.
i would go back to your doctor and get it checked out.
no matter what, this will go away with time. it may be wise to do a brief course of steroids called a medrol dose pack. that should decrease any irritation of the nerve and spped the healing process.
20 units is a normal amount.
i doubt that its a reaction to botox - but i would have to look at you to be sure.
hope that helps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Westside Medical Spa